This workshop in alternative forms focuses on how to create a great unit around a ‘big idea’ whist teaching Inquiry skills.
Three tried and alternative unit ideas can be used as a means of illustrating how good unit planning ensures assessment is authentic and inquiry skills are taught while covering the content.
- A solar heating challenge: Explores heat transfer and efficiency
- Reporting the metal content of an Ore
- Where is the energy in my car going?
In this workshop teachers:
- will conduct the activity
- map the Science Understandings and Inquiry skills
- map the teacher standards demonstrated (very useful for your leading teacher application)
- consider the products that demonstrate learning and opportunity for catering for different learners and including use of appropriate communication technologies.